Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/7] config.c: fix accuracy of line number in errors

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:31:17 -0700

Tanay Abhra <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 7/24/2014 3:19 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Tanay Abhra <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> If a callback returns a negative value to `git_config*()` family,
>>> they call `die()` while printing the line number and the file name.
>>> Currently the printed line number is off by one, thus printing the
>>> wrong line number.
>>>
>>> Make `linenr` point to the line we just parsed during the call
>>> to callback to get accurate line number in error messages.
>>>
>>> Discovered-by: Tanay Abhra <[email-masked]>
>>> Signed-off-by: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Thanks.
>> 
>> I am not sure what to read in these two lines.  Was the fix done by
>> you or Matthieu?
>>
>
> I misunderstood the meaning of the message trailers. I will correct
> it in the next re roll.

Well, that does not really answer my question, and it does not tell
us if you now understand the meaning of trailers correctly, or
replaced an earlier misunderstanding with a different
misunderstanding ;-)

More importantly, it would not help me interpret what you mean when
you write a sequence like this:

	From: tanay
        S-o-b: matthieu
        S-o-b: tanay

which does not quite make sense and leave the reader puzzled.

If the patch was authored by you and helped by matthieu, the first
S-o-b would be lying.  If the patch was written by matthieu and you
are merely relaying, then the authorship From is lying.  If the
patch was written by you and matthieu is relaying, then the two
S-o-bs are in incorrect order.