Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make the global packed_git variable static to sha1_file.c.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:28:55 -0800

Stefan Zager <[email-masked]> writes:

> If anyone has a recommendation for a less labor-intensive way to do
> this in emacs, I'd be very grateful.

This is not "do this in emacs", but here is a possible approach.

You can ask "git diff" about what you changed, and actually apply
the change while fixing whitespace errors.  I.e.

	git diff sha1_file.c | git apply --cached --whitespace=fix
	git diff
	git checkout sha1_file.c

The first step will add a cleaned-up version to your index.

The second "diff" (optional) is to see what whitespace errors are
introduced when going from that cleaned-up version to what you have
in the working tree.

With the last step you would update the working tree version to the
cleaned-up version from the index.

	[alias]
	wsadd = "!sh -c 'git diff -- \"$@\" | git apply --cached --whitespace=fix;\
		git co -- ${1-.} \"$@\"' -"