Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 3/8] environment: move `zlib_compression_level` into `struct repo_config_values`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2026 19:26:27 +0900

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2026 at 10:13 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Overall, I think it's sensible to always use `the_repository` at the
>> callsites in a patch series like this so that it's obvious that there is
>> no change in behaviour. So every patch series that gets rid of global
>> state in a subsystem X will basically bubble up the global state into
>> the next-higher level, and it's then the duty of the next patch series
>> to address that next-higher level.
>>
>> The only exception of course is subsystems that already got rid of
>> `the_repository` -- we really shouldn't reintroduce the use there.
>
> I agree that it should be fine to proceed like this. It limits the
> complexity of the patches when we separate getting rid of
> `the_repository` from getting rid of other global state.

I guess we are all in agreement that what was posted stops at a good
point, leaving some for later updates.  Unless there are any other
outstanding issues, it may be a good time to declare victory.  The
"bool" in the log message for [5/8] must be corrected, though, so
perhaps this topic is expecting a (hopefully small and final)
reroll?

Thanks.