Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add a config option to add a comment to S-o-b lines

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2026 10:06:49 -0700

Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]> writes:

> As an employee of a consultant company I'm often requested to mention
> the customer name in the Signed-off-by line. Add a config knob
> "user.signoffcomment" to configure this and use it in automatically
> generated S-o-b lines.
>
> Signed-off-by: Uwe Kleine-König (The Capable Hub) <[email-masked]>
> ---

I know it is not the thrust of this patch, but I think you should
think about this question at the same time, eh, rather, I do not
think we want to add a feature like this without thinking things
like the following through:

How should this practice interact with commands like "git log
--author=", "git shortlog", and friends?

Would projects accepting contributions signed like so want to have a
feature to easily strip the comments without having to add new
entries to their .mailmap every time a known contributor works for a
new client?

And then there is a question of "what shape of comment do we want?
is it OK for us to dictate that it comes after the author's human
readable name identity enclosed in parentheses?".

Shouldn't interpret-trailers be a good place to do this, instead of
a configuration option?

Thanks.