Subject: Re: [PATCH] apply: fix new-style empty context line triggering incomplete-line check

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2026 10:12:23 -0700

"D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think braces { test_writes lines … && printf … ; } would have
> sufficed for the second example

Nobody complained about them ever since they were written.  More
importantly, we have plenty of them that nobody complained and
bothered to uglify so far [*].

;-)

$ git grep -e '(.*) >' master -- t/t[0-9]\*.sh | grep -v -e '\$(' -e 'cd ' | wc -l
60
$ git grep -e '(.*) >' master -- t/t[0-9]\*.sh | grep -v -e '\$(' -e 'cd ' |
  head -n 20
master:t/t3050-subprojects-fetch.sh:	(git rev-parse HEAD && git ls-files -s) >expected &&
master:t/t3050-subprojects-fetch.sh:		(git rev-parse HEAD && git ls-files -s) >../actual
master:t/t3050-subprojects-fetch.sh:	(git rev-parse HEAD && git ls-files -s) >expected &&
master:t/t3050-subprojects-fetch.sh:		(git rev-parse HEAD && git ls-files -s) >../actual
master:t/t3402-rebase-merge.sh:	(echo "0 $T" && cat original) >renamed &&
master:t/t3900-i18n-commit.sh:		(sed "1,/^$/d" raw | iconv -f $new -t utf-8) >actual &&
master:t/t4001-diff-rename.sh:	(cat path1 && echo new) >new-path &&
master:t/t4015-diff-whitespace.sh:	(echo foo && echo baz | tr -d "\012") >x &&
master:t/t4015-diff-whitespace.sh:	(echo bar && echo baz | tr -d "\012") >x &&
master:t/t4019-diff-wserror.sh:if (grep "$blue_grep" <check-grep | grep "$blue_grep") >/dev/null 2>&1
master:t/t4019-diff-wserror.sh:elif (grep -a "$blue_grep" <check-grep | grep -a "$blue_grep") >/dev/null 2>&1
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( zs $n && echo a ) >file-a$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( echo b && zs $n && echo ) >file-b$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( printf c && zs $n ) >file-c$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( echo d && zs $n ) >file-d$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( zs $n && echo A ) >file-a$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( echo B && zs $n && echo ) >file-b$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( printf C && zs $n ) >file-c$n &&
master:t/t4024-diff-optimize-common.sh:		( echo D && zs $n ) >file-d$n &&
master:t/t4101-apply-nonl.sh:(echo a; echo b) >frotz.0

[Footnote]

 * I personally find that we need ';' immediately before '}'
   intolerably ugly.