Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] t0410: modernize delete_object helper

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2026 08:29:41 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> This will be caught by "make test", which runs our
> check-non-portable-shell script. But that's not run if you're just doing
> a one-shot ./0410 invocation.

I am tempted to add this to SubmittingPatches::[test]; the first
line of the new paragraph appears several lines before the pre-
context but without "`make test` from the top-level".

 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index e270ccbe85..eef07d6670 100644
--- c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -204,6 +204,10 @@ fixed by accident to avoid regression.  Also, try merging your work to
 that are still in flight may have unexpected interactions with what
 you are trying to do in your topic.
 
+After any code change, make sure that the entire test suite passes,
+with `make test` from the top-level.  We say this twice here because
+it is important.
+
 Pushing to a fork of https://github.com/git/git will use their CI
 integration to test your changes on Linux, Mac and Windows. See the
 <<GHCI,GitHub CI>> section for details.