Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] replay: add --revert option to reverse commit changes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2025 10:41:32 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm struggling to understand when I'd want to do this. Why would I want
>> to update 'feature' to point to the reverted version of its last tree
>> commits rebased onto 'main'?
>> ...
> I was going to say the same thing, but from a different angle.
>
> The sequencer in git is used for three different types of operations:
> rebasing, cherry-picking, and reverting a range (with a sequence of
> reverts rather than one big revert).  In replay, these correspond to
> --onto, --advance, and the new thing you are trying to add.  As such,
> it should be its own new mode.

This is a great comment that clarifies what the problem is with this.

> And yes, Siddharth, you were right that the new mode should be
> incompatible with --contained, but that's because --contained is a
> special modifier of --onto.  --onto, --advance, and --revert are three
> different modes that are incompatible with each other.

This answers the question I had on the patch perfectly.