Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/17] Do support Windows again after requiring Rust

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2025 16:37:39 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I do not think we spell out which releases of various platforms are
> still supported by us (we do list requirements for platforms in the
> Platform Support Policy document, though), but in general we should
> not be attempting to give extended support to systems that the
> vendor no longer supports.
> ... so as
> long as we document our intention of dropping a commercial system
> that is no longer supported by its vender clearly, I do not mind the
> above that discards 8.1 [*].

Apologies to authors of the PSP document.  We do have this as part
of "minimum requirement":

 * Has active security support (taking security releases of dependencies, etc)

So, being implicit about dropping 8.1, while it may be less than
nice as we could, is perhaps fine.

If we wanted to support a tad older releases that are still used
widely, that is fine as well.  I didn't check what additional
documents and policies GfW (Git for Windows) project says about this
issue, so perhaps it is all documented there, in which case our PSP
document is fine as-is, too.  In other words, if GfW project takes
responsibility of supporting ports for an older release that is out
of support, what our PSP document says does not matter.