Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] breaking-changes: deprecate support for core.commentChar=auto

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 07:06:15 -0700

Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2025 at 10:07:01AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>Isn't it last-one-wins?  How about just telling them to do without
>>any "git config unset" [...]
>>
> i wouldn't bother suggesting specific fixes, and just suggest using
> `git config list --show-scope` to figure out where the config comes
> from.  waaaay simpler, and avoids the pesky policy questions.

Yes, making it explicitly a responsibility of the end-users to
figure out what is the best approach to take would always work.

The approach taken by the patch gives series of commands that can be
copied and pasted without thinking, which is, even though it does
imply that we make a policy decision for those who do not want to
think for themselves, easy to use, though.

> i'm also in favor of just refusing to operate when the 'auto' setting
> is encountered, as that also is the simplest and fail-safe approach.

Yes, I agree that it is a very sensible thing to do.