Subject: [RFH] fedora: pedantic fails complaining that awk is missing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 16:58:16 -0700

GitHub Actions CI started failing the pedantic (fedora) job at the
tip of 'master' few days ago, and the log claims the failure is due
to missing "awk".  Even though we have seen a few topics to rewrite
Perl scriptlet, and I think at least one of them uses awk, but they
haven't hit 'master' yet, so it is puzzling why this started failing
all of a sudden.

So here is a band-aid.  I wouldn't be surprised if the base image
was updated without telling us.  We have seen Ubuntu 20.04 base
image retired to cause CI failures as well.

Almalinux does not even seem to have awk available as a package
(or it may be called differently, but we are not suffering from
the lack of awk on that platform anyway), so make sure we ask for
awk only on fedora.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---

 * As the scheduled retirement of U20.04 image broke CI jobs running
   for 'master', I started looking at making it pass again with the
   minimum change, i.e. by merging dd/sparse-glibc-workaround and
   js/ci-github-update-ubuntu topics.

   Then I somehow found that another job is broken.  And this patch
   seems to make it work.  Not knowing how it got broken is
   unsatisfactory, though.

 ci/install-dependencies.sh | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/ci/install-dependencies.sh b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
index 8700c0f292..a7c613ce4c 100755
--- a/ci/install-dependencies.sh
+++ b/ci/install-dependencies.sh
@@ -30,8 +30,10 @@ alpine-*)
 		bash cvs gnupg perl-cgi perl-dbd-sqlite perl-io-tty >/dev/null
 	;;
 fedora-*|almalinux-*)
+	awk=
+	case "$distro" in fedora-*) awk=awk ;; esac
 	dnf -yq update >/dev/null &&
-	dnf -yq install shadow-utils sudo make gcc findutils diffutils perl python3 gettext zlib-devel expat-devel openssl-devel curl-devel pcre2-devel >/dev/null
+	dnf -yq install shadow-utils sudo make gcc findutils diffutils perl python3 gettext zlib-devel expat-devel openssl-devel curl-devel pcre2-devel $awk >/dev/null
 	;;
 ubuntu-*|i386/ubuntu-*|debian-*)
 	# Required so that apt doesn't wait for user input on certain packages.
-- 
2.49.0-511-g173acbf1d8