Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2025, #05; Fri, 17)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 09:17:32 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2025 at 04:42:01PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> * jk/pack-header-parse-alignment-fix (2025-01-17) 3 commits
>> ...
>>  Will merge to 'next'.
>>  source: <[email-masked]>
>
> I was planning to re-roll this with your sparse fix included, and adding
> another patch to do get_be32() on the reading side. So maybe hold off
> for a moment.

Thanks.

> (I'd also be interested in any comments on the "maybe we should just
> align these buffers" approach; I'm undecided on it).

Unless we have the buffer _inside_ the helper function that may
perform the possibly-unaligned access, I am not sure how it helps.

I guess that we can align buffers used by two existing callers,
document that the helper function takes an aligned buffer and that
it is a fault of the caller if somebody passes an unaligned buffer,
but I am not sure if that is where we want to go.