Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Symlink resolutions: limits and return modes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 12:33:46 -0700

"Miguel Ángel Pastor Olivar via GitGitGadget"
<[email-masked]> writes:

> The current code already provides a limit to the maximum number of
> resolutions that can be performed, and something similar to this is returned
> to the caller:
>
> loop SP <size> LF
> <object> LF
>
>
> With these patches, we are looking to return the actual information of the
> object where the resolution stopped. Something similar to:
>
> <oid> blob <size>\nndata\n

Just a random and idle thought, but is it all that interesting to
learn only about the object at the horizon?

If recursive resolutions are limited to say 3 levels, I wonder if it
is beneficial to give full record from each iteration without losing
information, e.g., saying "A points at B which in turn points at C,
and I stopped there but C is still not the final thing", instead of
saying "I followed links and C was the last one I saw after I
repeated for the maximum number of times the configuration allows me
to".