Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] merge-ort: turn submodule conflict suggestions into an advice

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:34:02 -0800

Philippe Blain <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Junio,
>
> Le 2024-02-26 à 11:22, Junio C Hamano a écrit :
>> "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> From: Philippe Blain <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> Add a new advice type 'submoduleMergeConflict' for the error message
>>> shown when a non-trivial submodule conflict is encountered, which was
>>> added in 4057523a40 (submodule merge: update conflict error message,
>>> 2022-08-04). That commit mentions making this message an advice as
>>> possible future work. Only show the advice if it is enabled.
>> 
>> When specifically called out like this, it makes it sound as if this
>> one is disabled by default, while everybody else is enabled unless it
>> is disabled.
>
> Yes, re-reading myself, this did not come out as I wanted. I'll update
> the message to read more like "Adjust merge-ort.c::print_submodule_conflict_suggestion 
> to use the advice API" or something like this.

I've replaced the last sentence with """The message can now be
disabled with the advice mechanism."""