Subject: Re: [RESEND v2] git-rebase.txt: rewrite docu for fixup/squash (again)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:19:19 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree there is an argument for improving the implementation of
> --autosquash but until we do I think it is counterproductive to change
> the documentation like this as it will cause users to wonder why
> "rebase --autosquash" generates a todo list that is incorrect
> according to the documentation.

That's a good point.

> I do think it is a good idea to document where the authorship of a
> rebased commit comes from.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.  As to the authorship information, it
might be nicer if the "rebase -i" insn language supported an option
to trigger --reset-author (or even better, --author=...) action for
a single commit, but I presume that it is rather a rare event, and
as long as people understand that they can stop the sequencing
(e.g., an "edit" of the commit would do) and run "commit --amend",
it should be OK, so it probably is OK to leave it as-is.

Thanks.