Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pretty: add %(decorate[:<options>]) format

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:01:11 -0700

Andy Koppe <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 15/08/2023 19:13, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> If there is 'main' that is different from 'master', that sounds like
>> a problem to me.  This project predates the newer convention that
>> allows the primary branch to be named 'main', but many new folks of
>> course expect to see 'main', so while my primary working areas all
>> call the primary branch 'master', it is pushed out to both names.
>> Or at least I thought I arranged that to happen.
>
> See [1], where main currently is at v2.41.0.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> [1] https://github.com/git/git/tree/main

Ah, that one.  The CI job is unfortunately attached to that tree and
updating 'master' and 'main' with the same commit at the same time
wastes CI cycles, so I had to tentatively stop updating it.

It used to be that 'main' was set to lag behind 'master' by 24 hours
or so to prevent the problem---CI notices that the commit updated
'main' has been already dealt with 24 hours ago at 'master' and
refrains from wasting time on it.  But resurrecting it would still
make folks confused about how 'main' is different from 'master'.
Perhaps it is a good time to remove stale 'main' and keep only
'master' there?