Subject: Re: Git is removing . from the last part of user.name

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:56:09 -0700

"Thomas J. Faughnan Jr." <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On a somewhat lesser note, I'm tempted to say that "." probably was
>> never that useful (compared to say, comma, which is the gecos
>> separator), and we could probably just drop it from the crud list.
>
> Would this change still be considered? Or alternatively a git config
> option to ignore "." when checking if a character is crud?

That is certainly a blast from the past ;-)

I actually was wondering the opposite should be done, i.e. be
consistent and remove '.'  just like '<' and '>' even from the
middle of names.  '.' in the human-readable name part anywhere on
To: and Cc: lines, not just at the end, causes mailers to barf,
unless such name is quoted.

And from the consistency point of view, I think that a configuration
variable that tells Git to include/exclude "." from the "crud()"
letter should make us drop/keep "." from anywhere in the name, not
just at the tail end.  If we decide that adding such a configuration
variable is a good idea, that is.