Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] scalar: only warn when background maintenance fails

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:32:03 -0800

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  The "maintain
>> their clone" certainly should include running periodic maintenance
>> tasks without them having to worry about it.  It feels like this is
>> calling for an explicit "disable periodic maintenance tasks in this
>> repository" option to help these esoteric environments that disable
>> cron-like system services, while keeping the default safer,
>> i.e. fail loudly when the periodic maintenance tasks that the users
>> expect to happen cannot be enabled, or something.
>> 
>> Perhaps I am not the primary audience, but hmph, I have a feeling
>> that this is not exactly going into a healthy direction.
>
> Here, we are in an environment where background maintenance is
> unavailable in an unexpected way. If that feature is not available
> to the user, should they not get the benefits of the others?

That is not what I was saying.  I just have expected to see a way
for the user to give scalar an explicit "I understand that periodic
maintenance does not happen in this repository" consent, instead of
demoting an error detection for everybody to a warning that users
will just ignore.