Subject: [PATCH] MyFirstContribution: refrain from self-iterating too much

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 17:51:11 -0800

Finding mistakes in and improving your own patches is a good idea,
but doing so too quickly is being inconsiderate to reviewers who
have just seen the initial iteration and taking their time to review
it.  Encourage new developers to perform such a self review before
they send out their patches, not after.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt | 20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 20 insertions(+)

diff --git c/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt w/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
index 7c9a037cc2..81dcaedf0c 100644
--- c/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
+++ w/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
@@ -1136,6 +1136,26 @@ index 88f126184c..38da593a60 100644
 [[now-what]]
 == My Patch Got Emailed - Now What?
 
+You should wait for your patch to be reviewed by other people in the
+development community.  While you are waiting, you may want to
+re-read what you wrote in the patch you already have sent, as if you
+are a reviewer who is helping you to improve your patch.  But resist
+the temptation to update the patch and send a new one, until other
+people had enough time to digest your original patch and give you
+their reviews.  They may be taking time to give you a carefully
+written review responses and haven't finished it yet.  Bombarding
+them with new versions before they have a chance to react to the
+first iteration is being rude to them.
+
+Of course, you still may spot mistakes and rooms for improvements
+after you sent your initial patch.  Learn from that experience to
+make sure that you will do such a self-review _before_ sending your
+patches next time.  You do not have to send your patches immediately
+once you finished writing them.  It is not a race.  Take your time
+to self-review them, sleep on them, improve them before sending them
+out, and do not allow you to send them before you are reasonably
+sure that you won't find more mistakes in them yourself.
+
 [[reviewing]]
 === Responding to Reviews