Subject: Re: [PATCH] tests: make 'test_oid' print trailing newline

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:56:39 +0900

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 09:48:49AM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
>> >       $ git grep '\stest_oid ' -- ':/t/*.sh'
>> >       $ git grep 'echo "\?$(test_oid ' -- ':/t/*.sh'
>>  ...
>> I found these examples in the log message a bit annoying to see, as
>> experiments are not affected by any grep.patterntype), but they may
>> fail for folks on stricter platforms.
>
> Please feel free to amend the commit message as you see fit.  Usually
> I would do that myself as I'm rather picky of my commit messages, but,
> alas, I'm not versed in portability issues of regexes, so I'm not sure
> what the right regexes would be.

I guess ERE would give us enough expressiveness to say "zero or one"
without relying on GNU extension.  Saying "Any whitespace" concisely
as "\s" would require PCRE (i.e. "grep -P") but because use of it is
optional, the best we could do is "[ ]" (in the [bracket]), one is
TAB and the other is SPACE).

But reading the message again, they are what the author of the patch
did to observe the current codebase, so I think being faithful to
what you did would be fine ;-)

In any case, thanks for cleaning it up.