Subject: Re: sudmodule.<name>.recurse ignored

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 14:13:12 -0700

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

> - where to get the submodule from during a fetch/clone, e.g.
>   `submodule.<name>.url`, `submodule.<name>.branch`
> - information needed for submodules to work correctly, e.g.
>   `submodule.<name>.path`
> - default config that gets populated in .git/config via `git submodule
>   init`, e.g. `submodule.<name>.update`,
>   `submodule.<name>.fetchRecurseSubmodules`
>
> With respect to config, the general stance is that .gitmodules is meant
> to provide defaults for .git/config and _not_ to be read directly (see
> Ævar's answer).

I think that is a sensible way to think about this.

It is more like "suggestion made by the upstream", to be taken after
examining it, just like you should type "make" after examining the
Makefile.  At least enough to trust its contents ;-)

> There are some very limited cases where config is read
> directly from .gitmodules, but that approach is very frowned upon and
> it's unlikely that we'll add more of them in the future.

Yup, we should be careful and see if we can get rid of existing
uses.

Thanks.