Subject: Re: fixup! bug, was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git for Windows 2.37.2

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:08:18 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Junio,
>
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Victoria Dye <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> > Just a heads-up: there was an issue with the process used to generate this
>> > version. ...
>>
>> Sorry to see that it caused two cycles of release process.  Would it
>> have helped you if I had done things differently (other than "not
>> issuing maintenance releases that are not security relevant"), perhaps
>> giving a notice in advance by say a few days?
>
> Thank you for offering to accommodate Git for Windows' needs.
>
> In this instance, we tracked the problem down to ...

Well, I was not asking for postmortem of a particular breakage,
per-se.  Such a bug is well within the competent hands of GfW
developer(s).

I was more interested in learning an improved process, e.g. giving
you an advance notice of a few days so that you can do a practice
run in the not-so-final-but-close-enough tip of the 'maint' branch
to find out unexpected recent breakage either in the code or in your
toolchain before the real release needs to be made in timely
fashion, would have helped.

Thanks.