Subject: Re: Re* jc/http-clear-finished-pointer

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 08:48:25 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... as a follow-up we should have a revert
> of 9c539d1027d (config.mak.dev: alternative workaround to gcc 12 warning
> in http.c, 2022-04-15) which this patch makes redundant.

It is a good point that 9c539d10 (config.mak.dev: alternative
workaround to gcc 12 warning in http.c, 2022-04-15) hides problems.
Unfortunatelly https://github.com/git/git/runs/6665825113 dies early
without reaching the point where it touches http.c X-< so we cannot
tell.

I am OK to do a revert of the redundant one on 'next', which should
give us a confirmation that the particular version of GCC12 is OK
with the code we happen to have and letting its -Wdangling-pointer
trigger would not harm us with any other false positives.  Then we
can do the same on the 'master' front with that revert with Dscho's
other three GCC12 fixes (they are fixes, like the "realloc then use"
one) graduating first (which should break http.c) and then the patch
in this thread as separate steps, if we really wanted to.

Thanks.