Subject: Re: [PATCH 11/11] bundle: unbundle promisor packs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 11:54:22 -0800

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been trying this:
>
>  git clone --no-local --filter=$filter "file://$(pwd)" cloned &&
>
> which "succeeds" with this in the stderr:
>
>  warning: filtering not recognized by server, ignoring

Hmph, and we won't see it when going over ssh to the same
repository?  That is puzzling.

>>> an error condition into 'git clone' to say "Cannot currently clone
>>> from a filtered bundle" to help users understand the issue?
>> 
>> It would be a workable stepwise solution, I would think.  It is not
>> like we are robbing an existing feature from users---it merely is
>> that the support of partial cloning over different "transport" is
>> uneven, which is to be expected, especially in earlier phase of
>> introducing a new feature.
>
> That was my understanding, too.

Good to see us on the same page.  Thanks.