Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/5] implement branch --recurse-submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:34:32 -0800

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

> This series implements branch --recurse-submodules as laid out in the
> Submodule branching RFC (linked above). If there are concerns about the
> UX/behavior, I would appreciate feedback on the RFC thread as well :)
>
> This series is based off js/branch-track-inherit.

Sigh.

When a series is labelled as "based off of X", I expect that the
series either apply on the tip of branch X I have, or it applies on
top of the merge result of branch X into 'master'.  It shouldn't be
forked at a random point on the 'seen' or 'next' branch, as you'd
end up depending on not just X but all the other topics that are
merged before X is merged to these integration branches.

This seems not apply on either c99fa303 (config: require lowercase
for branch.autosetupmerge, 2021-12-14), which is the tip of the
js/branch-track-inherit topic, or 47e85bee (Merge branch
'js/branch-track-inherit' into gc/branch-recurse-submodules,
2021-12-15), which is a merge of that topic into 'master' I prepared
to queue the previous round of this topic the other day.