Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2021, #01; Fri, 3)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 09:25:02 -0800

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> I found this output to be a particularly interesting way to get an
> overview of everything going on. It almost looks appropriate for
> being a "table of contents" for the main report. Have you thought
> about adding it near the top of that report?

This was primarily designed to help guide me decide what topics to
merge to 'next' in what order, and it is pretty much a grep in the
main part of the report that duplicates what is already said down
there.  With the number of topics in the report, it may not be very
useful as a ToC, and while I do not mind adding one every time I
send out a new issue of the report, I do not know how it affects
readers to drown them by this list-of-topics at the top.

Another thing that is different in this and upcoming issue of the
report is that I tried to track down the "source" of each topic, so
that it becomes easy to go to a single web page I can view the
discussion on the topic by appending "source:" message ID after
https://lore.kernel.org/git/.  I am still not sure how sustainable
to keep doing this "source:" annotation (it is automated somewhat,
but needs manual sanity checks), so I won't promise keeping it in
the future, though.  At least, not yet.

Thanks.