Subject: preparing for 2.34.1 (2nd round)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:18:46 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

There are a few topics [*] to fix regressions introduced in the
previous cycle, which should be in 2.34.1 and I've merged them to
'master'. I hope we can merge them to 'maint' (which now point at
2.34) and tag 2.34.1 in a day or two.

After that, in yet another few days, we will see most of the stalled
topics ejected from the tree, the tip of 'next' rewound, and we will
start the cycle toward 2.35 by starting to take new topics,
hopefully by the beginning of the next week.

Thanks.

Fixes since v2.34
-----------------

 * "git grep" looking in a blob that has non-UTF8 payload was
   completely broken when linked with certain versions of PCREv2
   library in the latest release.

 * "git pull" with any strategy when the other side is behind us
   should succeed as it is a no-op, but doesn't.
   (merge ea1954af ev/pull-already-up-to-date-is-noop later to maint).

 * An earlier change in 2.34.0 caused JGit application (that abused
   GIT_EDITOR mechanism when invoking "git config") to get stuck with
   a SIGTTOU signal; it has been reverted.
   (merge e3f7e01b50 jc/save-restore-terminal-revert later to maint).

 * An earlier change that broke .gitignore matching has been reverted.
   (merge 33c5d6c845 ds/add-rm-with-sparse-index later to maint).

 * SubmittingPatches document gained a syntactically incorrect mark-up,
   which has been corrected.
   (merge edbd9f37 ab/update-submitting-patches later to maint).