Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 2/3] am: support --empty option to handle empty patches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:46:02 -0800

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 18/11/21 17.50, Aleen via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> +test_expect_success 'still output error with --empty when meeting empty files' '
>> +	test_must_fail git am --empty=drop empty.patch 2>actual &&
>> +	echo Patch format detection failed. >expected &&
>> +	test_cmp expected actual
>> +'
>
> Why isn't the echo string quoted?

You may doing so without realizing, but such a "why does the code
not do X" question, especially without stating why you think the
code should do X, gets irritating quickly.

    I think it is better to quote the arguments to echo to make it a
    single string, because ...

would have helped the author of the patch.

If this were one-off, I would have let it go, but I thought it may
be worth commenting, as you seem to often ask this kind of
"questions".