Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci: disallow directional formatting

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 10:20:34 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 04:01:57PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> There's a parallel discussion about doing something to detect this in
>> "git am", which for the git project seems like a better place to put
>> this.
>
> I don't think that one impacts the other necessarily. Having `git am`
> guard against this would probably be sufficient to protect Junio
> accidentally apply something containing directional formatting to his
> tree unknowingly.
>
> But the idea that we rely on the import mechanism to protect against
> this doesn't sit well with me. Ultimately, we should be relying on a
> static check like below to ensure that directional formatting hasn't
> entered the tree by any mechanism (not just 'git am').

Yes.  Quite honestly, such a check shouldn't be in "am" proper at
all.

Rather, for am users who care, they should protect themselves with
something like the pre-applypatch hook, which can perform the same
check as their pre-commit hook to protect their other commits.