Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 10/10] progress.c: add & assert a "global_progress" variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 02:38:04 -0700

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> I still very much dislike the idea of a BUG() in the progress code
> that can trigger outside of the test suite, because the progress line
> is only a UI gimmick and not a crucial part of any Git operation, and
> even though a progress line might be buggy, the underlying Git
> operation is not affected by it and would still finish successfully,
> as was the case with the dozen of so progress line bugs in the past.

I too recall that we have fixed numerous bugs in the past year in
the area, but weren't they kind of obvious ones _once_ they are
pointed out at you (e.g. progress never reaching to 100%)?  Yet the
developers have failed to catch them because their eyes would coast
over without paying attention to them, exactly because the progress
bar is merely a UI gimmick.

I haven't formed a firm opinion on this yet, but I think the idea
behind these BUG() is to help such problems be caught while they are
still in the lab.  You may not notice when your live progress bar
behaved a bit funny, but if you hit a BUG(), that would be squarely
in your face and you cannot ignore it.