Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/3] add a test mode for SANITIZE=leak, run it in CI

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 04:02:50 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> We can compile git with SANITIZE=leak, and have had various efforts in
> the past such as 31f9acf9ce2 (Merge branch 'ah/plugleaks', 2021-08-04)
> to plug memory leaks, but have had no CI testing of it to ensure that
> we don't get regressions. This series adds a GIT_TEST_* mode for
> checking those regressions, and runs it in CI.
>
> Since I submitted v2 the delta between origin/master..origin/seen
> broke even t0001-init.sh when run under SANITIZE=leak, so this series
> will cause test smoke on "seen".
>
> That failure is due to a bug in es/config-based-hooks [1] and the
> hn/reftable topic, i.e. these patches are legitimately catching
> regressions in "seen" from day 1.

So is there a point in sending this out to the list, before sending
fixes to these broken topic and making sure they get corrected?

Because the CI does not "bisect" to tell us "ok, up to this point in
'seen', all the topics merged play well together", the overall
effect in the bigger picture is that 'seen' with this series would
cause CI to stay in failed state.

For now, I'll keep this near the tip of 'seen'.

Thanks.