Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/4] bisect--helper: reimplement `bisect_visualize()`shell function in C

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 13:22:27 -0700

Miriam Rubio <[email-masked]> writes:

> +	strvec_pushl(&args, "--bisect", "--", NULL);
> +
> +	strbuf_read_file(&sb, git_path_bisect_names(), 0);
> +	sq_dequote_to_strvec(sb.buf, &args);
> +	strbuf_release(&sb);

Even though it is textually not all that different, this part
changed the behaviour (hopefully in a good way) quite a bit from the
previous round.  It would make a big difference when an element in
the pathspec has shell specials.

I suspect that the reason why you didn't notice the breakage before
submitting the previous round (v2) is because of a gap in the test
coverage.  Can we add a test, or tweak an existing one?  I think a
file with a space in its name would be sufficient to demonstrate the
breakage in v2 and its fix in this round around "split" (in v2) vs
"dequote" (in v3).  A file whose name begins with a dash would
demonstrate the bug that would arise due to lack of "--".

Thanks.