Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2 / RFC] builtin/branch: stop supporting the use of --set-upstream option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:09:46 -0700

Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wednesday 16 August 2017 12:28 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Some refactoring to make it easier to reuse it from the new caller
>> would be necessary. 
> Sorry but I think I don't get that correctly. What's the "new caller"
> being referred to here?
> What should be refactored?

You said that "checkout" does not do a necessary check that is done
in "branch", so presumably "branch" already has a code to do so that
is not called by the current "checkout", right?  Then you would add
a new caller in "checkout" to trigger the same check that is already
done in "branch", but the code "branch" uses _might_ be too specific
to the kind of data the current implementation of "branch" uses and
it _may_ not be easy to call it directly from "checkout" (I didn't
check if that is the case).  If so, then the check implemented in
the current "branch" may need to be refactored before it can easily
be called from the new caller you would be adding to "checkout".