Subject: Re: [PATCH] hooks: add signature to the top of the commit message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 13:28:34 -0700

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: "Junio C Hamano" <[email-masked]>
>> Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> By the way, the one that is still actually enabled is no longer
>>>> needed.  The commit template generated internally was corrected some
>>>> time ago not to add the "Conflicts:" section without commenting it
>>>> out.
>>>>
>>> I'll send in another patch that removes it but it seems removing it
>>> would leave sample hook without anything turned on by default. That
>>> doesn't sound fine, does it?
>>
>> Actually I was wondering if it is a good idea to remove it, as it
>> seems to have outlived its usefulness.
>
> Personally, I like the comfort of seeing the Conflicts: list, but if
> others have indicated otherwise...

Oh, I think you misread the discussion while arriving from the
sideways.  My "it" in the "remove it" refers to the sample
prepare-commit-msg hook; among the three examples in that hook, only
one of them is enabled but that one was to comment out the "Conflicts"
section in the log message editor.  These days, that section already
appears in a commented-out form without the help of that hook, so
there is nothing useful in there---hence a suggestion for removal of
the sample.