Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/7] compat/regex: add a README with a maintenance guide

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 10:20:49 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > - rather than scraping the files from the CGit website (which does not
>> >   guarantee that the first scraped file will be from the same revision as
>> >   the last scraped file), I would very strongly prefer the files to be
>> >   copied from a clone of gawk.git, and the gawk.git revision from which
>> >   they were copied should be recorded in git.git's commit adding them.
>>
>> Wow, I didn't even notice that was how the "original" came about.
>> No question that we should be taking from a known-stable snapshot,
>> not from a moving target.
>
> Gawk's regex has been fairly stable of late.  But marking the revision
> from which you take the regex is a good idea in any case.

I do not mind taking a snapshot from an untagged commit (instead of
sticking to the last tagged commit, being suspicious about newer
developments).  What I was reacting to was a loop like this:

    for f in $(find . -name '*.[ch]' -printf "%f\n")
    do wget http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gawk.git/plain/support/$f -O $f
    done

i.e. allowing wget to grab paths out of possibly different commits.

Thanks.