Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/3] Add Travis CI support

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:02:35 -0700

Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]> writes:

> Semantically, it does not seem correct to me that configuarion goes to
> the install step. As "make test" will build git anyway, I'd instead
> propose to get rid of "install" and just say:
>
> before_script: make configure && ./configure
>
> script: make --quiet test

Very good point.  Do we even need to do anything in the "install"
target?  We aim to be able to testable without any installed Git,
and not running "make install" at all, ever, would be one way to
make sure that works.

This is a slightly related tangent, but we saw a few build issues
reported recently on customized configurations like NO_PTHREAD.  If
we are to start using automated tests, I wonder if we want to build
(and optionally test) with various combinations of the customization
options (e.g. NO_CURL, NO_OPENSSL, NO_MMAP, NO_IPV6, NO_PERL etc.)

Thanks.