Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 1/2] git-rebase -i: Add key word "drop" to remove a commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:35:30 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I find it weird to write
>>>
>>> noop <sha1> <title>
>>
>> True, but then it can be spelled
>>
>>     # <sha1> <title>
>
> I do find it weird too. "#" means "comment", which means "do as if it
> was not there" to me. And in this case it does change the semantics once
> you activate the safety feature: error out without the "# <sha1>
> <title>", rebase dropping the commit if the comment is present.

Well, I do not agree with the premise that "A line was removed, the
user may have made a mistake, we need to warn about it" is a good
idea in the first place.  Removing an insn that is not wanted has
been the way to skip and not replay a change from the beginning of
the time, and users shouldn't be trained into thinking that somehow
is a bad practice by having such an option that warns.