Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] git_connect: set ssh shell command in GIT_SSH_CMD

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:32:30 -0800

Thomas Quinot <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could also be GIT_SSH_SHELLCMD, to denote that this is a *shell*
> command...

Whatever.  I loathe the CMD abbreviation, though.  Why spell out
SHELL but not COMMAND?  I.e. GIT_SSH_[SHELL_]COMMAND

>> Parsing complications aside, you cannot even know in git which ssh is
>> going to be run until the shell code is executed. I think either we have
>> to leave the responsibility for munging "-p" into "-P" on the side of
>> the user's shell snippet
>
> That sounds like a reasonable approach, and leaves us with the simpler
> change (that splitting circuitry was admittely a bit awkward...)

It does not make sense to special case "plink" at the level of this
mechanism where the spawned command line does not even have to
invoke any "ssh" and its derivatives, so I fully agree that choosing
between -P and -p should be the responsibility of whoever is using
this mechanism.

Thanks.