Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 1/2] Makefile: add check-headers target

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:09:56 -0700

David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 12:57:46PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>> ...
>> > for header in .h ewah/*.h vcs-svn/*.h xdiff/*.h
>> > do
>> > 	...
>> > done
>> 
>> Yes, that would be even better.  Then you wouldn't even have to
>> worry about $IFS dance.
>
> The original motivation was to avoid picking up the generated
> common-cmds.h header file.

	for header
        do
        	case "$header" in $exceptions) continue ;; esac
		...
	done

with comments describing why these exceptions are made would be a
better way to go in such a case.

> It was the N_() function that was messing it up.
>
> Would it make sense to split out a separate patch that makes common-cmds.h
> check-headers clean?

Depends on why "gcc -c $header"-cleanliness needs to be strictly
enforced, I think.  

"common-cmds.h" is merely a way to allow us maintain a part of its
single includer help.c mechanically maintained, and if anybody else
includes it, it is an error, even if that includer does so after
including "gettext.h".

Some effort would be required to butcher "common-cmds.h' to make it
include "gettext.h" but that amount of effort can be better spent to
add a check to make sure nobody else includes it, I would have to
say.