Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] git-am: support any number of signatures

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:51:04 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, after looking into this for a while, I realize
>> this is a special property of the Signed-off-by footer.
>> For now I think it's reasonable to just avoid de-duplicating
>> other footers if any. Agree?
>
> Not really. I'd rather see "git am" hardcode as little such policy as possible.
> We do need to support S-o-b footer and the policy we defined for it long time
> ago, if only for backward compatiblity, but for any other footers,
> policy decision
> such as "dedup by default" isn't something "am" should know about.

By the way, "append without looking for dups" is a policy decision
that is as bad to have as "append with dedup".

I'd rather not to see "am.signoff", or any name that implies what
the "-s" option to the command is about for that matter, to be used
in futzing with the trailers other than S-o-b in any way.  As I
understand it, our longer term goal is to defer that task, including
the user-programmable policy decisions, to something like the
'trailer' Christian started.

I suspect that it may add unnecessary work later if we overloaded
"signoff" with a similar feature with the change under discussion.
I would feel safer to see it outlined how we envision to transition
to a more generic 'trailer' solution later if we were to enhance
"am" with "am.signoff" now.

Thanks.