Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] replay: support replaying down from root commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2026 09:20:51 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> So if we are about to fix that main issue in a separate patch or
> series, and if we plan to emit something like the following in the
> regular case:
>
> "fatal: replaying failed due to conflict"
>
> and something like the following when replaying from a root commit:
>
> "fatal: replaying from root commit XXX failed due to conflict"
>
> then I think it would alleviate the need for a doc update.

Hmph, what would you do to the other side (i.e., replay from some
specified boundary) of the message?  When the version of "git
replay" command a user who sees for the first time comes with the
ability to replay from a root on day one, "from root commit" is not
so special from "from these boundary commits", so I am not sure if
it makes sense to have such a message that treats the down-to-root
case any specially.