Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: fetch: document `--jobs=0` behavior

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2026 10:59:10 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2026 at 07:32:39PM +0000, Daniel D. Beck via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> diff --git a/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc b/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
>> index fcba46ee9e..e15cbc51f2 100644
>> --- a/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
>> +++ b/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
>> @@ -234,6 +234,8 @@ endif::git-pull[]
>>  `--jobs=<n>`::
>>  	Parallelize all forms of fetching up to _<n>_ jobs at a time.
>>  +
>> +A value of 0 will use some reasonable default.
>
> Can't we do better though than saying "some reasonable default"? As a
> user I would wonder what this is even supposed to mean. True, we don't
> do so either in the documentation of "fetch.parallel". But arguably, we
> should update both sites to reflect the status quo.
>
> Going into the code we seem to fall back to `online_cpus()`. So should
> we document this accordingly?

I do not have time to dig this out myself from ancient discussion
threads, but we probably had the same discussion when "git config
--help" described the fetch.parallel with exactly the same phrasing
and decided to leave the exact implementation detail out of the
end-user facing documentation.

Thanks.