Subject: Re: Re* [RFH] adding test coverage for contrib/ in CI jobs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2026 12:54:19 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Colin Stagner <[email-masked]> writes:
> ...
>> At least some of the subtree failures on linux-reftable, such as
>>
>> <https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/21617099884/job/62298228602#step:10:421>
>>
>> are actually due to a bug in ubuntu:rolling's "dirname" implementation. 
>
> Ahh, rust bites again?
>
> Is there /etc/alternatives/dirname like /etc/alternatives/sudo that
> we used in fddb4842 (ci: fix broken jobs on Ubuntu 25.10 caused by
> switch to sudo-rs(1), 2025-10-10) to work a breakage around, I have
> to wonder...

So I tried a custom CI run that has

 * a temporary patch that demotes ubuntu:rolling to ubuntu:latest in
   GitHub workflows

 * your subtree test fix to use the hardcoded 'main'

 * a similar fix for diff-highlight test <[email-masked]>

 * a change to run "make test" in contrib/* directories <[email-masked]>

on top of 'master'.  Everything seems to be happy.      

https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/21726017981