Subject: Re: [PATCH] make strip: include `scalar`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2025 14:54:09 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > -strip: $(PROGRAMS) git$X
>> > +strip: $(PROGRAMS) git$X scalar$X
>> >  	$(STRIP) $(STRIP_OPTS) $^
>> 
>> I wonder why the original names git$X here explicitly, instead of
>> using say $(OTHER_PROGRAMS) that covers both of these.  I know that
>> the undocumented INCLUDE_DLLS_IN_ARTIFACTS knob uses OTHER_PROGRAMS
>> by throwing in non-programs like DLLs to it, so that artifacts-tar
>> target would include them, but perhaps instead of working around the
>> misdesign of that target, wouldn't it be better to correct its use
>> of OTHER_PROGRAMS and use it here instead?
>> 
>> The change (including the "strip scalar, too!" part) should look
>> like this, I think.
>
> Sure.
>
>> Also do we need a matching change to CMake and meson?
>
> I am unfamiliar with Meson, and do not see anything about stripping in
> `meson.build` apart from a `--strip` option that is mentioned in a comment
> (and which I would assume already handles all executables, otherwise the
> move to Meson really is not worth all the hassle).

That's a great point.

Anyway, the original patch that started this thread is not wrong, so
let me queue it as-is.  Those who want to improve on it can build on
top.

Thanks.