Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-(import|export): improve on the signature algorithm name

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 14:59:37 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Often
> when we have deprecated or changed an option our process was to first
> produce an error and update documentation and wait a while, then go
> and change the default after a sufficiently long time.  Here, we had
> kind of stopped at just producing the error with no plans to take
> another step.  If that was the route we took in the past, what makes
> this considered a breakage and not the other changes we made?
>
> (Just curious, I'm not against this change.)

What is wrong is the behaviour change in the original, which luckily
is not in any released versions (except for 2.50-rc0, which should
not count, as I think we should do this toning-down before -rc1).

We used to silently ignore and strip commit signatures and that has
always been the behaviour the existing users have relied upon; we
started requiring these existing users to either explicitly pass
--signed-c=strip or set an environmtne variable.  A new feature
should be opt-in to make the transition smoother, but the topic did
not follow that pattern.

I view this last-minute band-aid patch that flips the default back
to what it used to be as remedying that mistake in the original
series.