Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/11] commit: simplify code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2025 13:37:00 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... there are any non-ita entries). Though in that case I'd think:
>
>   committable = 0;
>   for (i = 0; i < cache_nr; i++) {
> 	if (!ce_intent_to_add(...) {
> 		committable = 1;
> 		break;
> 	}
>   }
>
> would be the most clear, since we do not otherwise care about the actual
> number of ita entries. And lets us break out of the loop early.

Exactly.  If you focus on the warning too narrowly, the minimal
change in the original patch does look OK, but in the original (even
before Dscho's patch, that is) the intent is unclear, as opposed to
what you showed above.  And the update to squelch false positive
does not improve the clarity of the logic as the above rewrite does.

Thanks.