Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: use raw format for notes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 17:52:51 -0700

Tuomas Ahola <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [PATCH] format-patch: use raw format for notes
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 14:17:32 -0700
>
>> [--] more importantly, the contents of the note loses its crucial
>> leading spaces that makes sure that any random lines in the note
>> that happen to begin with "diff", "---", etc. are not mistaken as
>> the beginning of the first patch.
>
> Thanks for quick response. That was indeed a compelling point.
>
>> So, no, this change is not a good thing to do, at least in its
>> current form.  Besides, unconditional change like this will break
>> existing users.
>
> I see that similar patch was proposed in 2017. I should have searched
> more thoroughly, I guess.

Heh, your archive spelunking skills are far superiour than mine, it
seems.  And in

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I see that I said exactly the same thing to exactly the same patch.

It is not to say that I've been a good person to be very consistent
(I do not have to be---over the years I can hear more opinions from
others that may sway how I think about the same issue), but says
that there aren't new arguments to sway the old decision in the past
7.5 years.

And exactly the same way as back then, I am open to a valid argument
to add such an output as an optional feature if there is a good use
case for it.

Thanks.