Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-svn: mention `svn:globalignores` in help+docs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 10:36:16 -0700

"Alex Galvin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Alex Galvin <[email-masked]>
>
> Git-SVN was previously taught to use the svn:globalignores attribute
> as well as svn:ignore when creating or showing .gitignore files from
> a Subversion repository. However, the documentation and help message
> still only mentioned svn:ignore. This commit updates Git-SVN's
> documentation and help command to mention the newly supported attribute.

Thanks for tying these loose ends.  Very much appreciated.

> @@ -219,7 +219,7 @@ my %cmd = (
>  	                "Set an SVN repository to a git tree-ish",
>  			{ 'stdin' => \$_stdin, %cmt_opts, %fc_opts, } ],
>  	'create-ignore' => [ \&cmd_create_ignore,
> -			     'Create a .gitignore per svn:ignore',
> +			     'Create a .gitignore per directory with svn:ignore and svn:globalignores',

I do not know how likely it is that Subversion gains even more
sources of exclusion data in the future, but it makes me wonder if a
phrase like "Create a .gitignore file from ignore properties of svn"
so that we do not have to muck with the message.  Presumably those
who do use this feature know which properties Subversion uses to
record the ignored paths.  On the other hand, if it is not expected
to happen very soon, I think the text in this patch is good enough,
and we can revisit the issue of help text getting overly long when
we do need to add the third one.

The same comment applies to the runtime option help for the other
one.  I think listing the set of ignore properties we are aware of,
iow what you have in this patch, is perfectly appropriate for the
documentation.

Thanks.