Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] update-ref: add symref support for --stdin

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 12:06:08 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> Placement of the range-diff in the cover-letter was a deliberate choice[1].

OK, and the reasoning in [1] still makes sense.  Short-and-sweet
stuff with denser information contents first, before a bulky "diff
of diff" we add as an auxiliary piece of information.

> Regarding your experiment[2] to place the range-diff at the end of a
> single-patch, apparently that idea had been considered, as well, but
> it was noted[3,4] that, by default, some MUIs hide everything after
> the "--" line.

That is different from what [3] noted, though.  It was "the stuff
after '-- ' not included in a reply/reply-all when responding".

 (1) As we'd rather want to see the actual patch, not a part of
     range-diff in the cover letter, responded, placing it under the
     "-- " mark and excluded from the response is actually a
     feature.

 (2) If we wanted to, we can show the log message, "---", output of
     "git diff --stat -p", output of "git range-diff" and finally
     the "-- " signature mark.  Receiving end will not mistake the
     range-diff output as part of the last hunk of the last patch.

So, I do not see it as a reason to refrain from placing the range
diff output after the main patch.

Thanks.