Subject: Re: t4216-log-bloom.sh broken ?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 14:20:54 -0700

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks folks for digging - the patch makes both test cases pass.
> Some official information:
>
> $ man mv
>
> on the both machines says
> [snip]
> If the destination path does not have a mode which permits writing,
> mv prompts the user for confirmation as specified for the -i option.
>
> To summarize what I have at hand right now:
> MacOs 11.7.10 fails t4216 and t5318, both pass under MacOs 13.6.6
>
> But why doesn't `mv` not hang then ?

It is a sensible choice for the command to assume a "safer" no and
continuing rather than hanging, so that part is understandable.

So presumably 13.6.6 has a working "mv" but their "man mv" is not
updated to how the command actually works?

In any case, let me declare victory and queue the patch I sent
earlier.

Thanks.