Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] mark t3701-add-interactive.sh as leak-free

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:26:58 -0700

Rubén Justo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Range-diff against v1:
> 1:  18e4c7f653 ! 1:  75cb700eab apply: plug a leak in apply_data
>     @@ Metadata
>       ## Commit message ##
>          apply: plug a leak in apply_data
>      
>     -    Plug a leak we have since cfb6f9acc3 (apply: accept -3/--3way command
>     -    line option, 2012-05-08).
>     +    We have an execution path in apply_data that leaks the local struct
>     +    image.  Plug it.

This is a nice improvement.

If a bug existed in an ancient version and survived across evolution
of the code for a long time, naming a random old version that
happened to already have it does not help very much.

Saying something like

    This is an ancient bug whose moral equivalent existed even
    before the data & code structure became the current shape in
    commit X

would give a bit more information, in that X gives a rough estimate
how far back in the codebase the fix in the patch can be applied
more or less cleanly.  In this case, X would be where the struct
image was introduced, I guess?

But the updated text is good enough and I do not see a need for
reroll.  Will queue.  Thanks.